Located in St Lucie County, St. Anastasia Catholic School serves its parish as well as other parishes of the Diocese of Palm Beach including Holy Family, St. Lucie, St. Mark, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, St. Martin de Porres, St. Bernadette, St. Helen, Holy Cross, St. Joseph, Holy Redeemer, St. Sebastian and Notre Dame Mission.
St. Anastasia Catholic School had its beginnings in 1914 when Father Gabriel Ruppert, O.S.B. had it built on Orange Avenue and 10th Street in Fort Pierce. From 1919 to 1924, the St. Lucie County School District used the facilities free of charge. In September 1926, the Sisters of St. Dominic of Adrian, Michigan came to staff the school. Sisters Generosa Solon, Jane Francis Woelkers and Sabina Mack opened the school to 52 students.
As the student population grew, so did the need for the buildings. In 1932, St. Anastasia added its first year of high school. Each subsequent year witnessed the addition of another class and by 1936, St. Anastasia had all four grades of high school and its first graduating class graduated five students. Addressing the needs of black students who wanted a Catholic education, Blessed Martin School on Eighth Street opened its doors in September 1940. In 1951, St. Anastasia’s total enrollment had grown to 201 students that included grades one through twelve.
By 1960, St. Anastasia Catholic School has expanded its elementary school to a new location on 33rd Street in western Fort Pierce and the St. Anastasia School building on 10th Street served as the high school. At that time, St. Anastasia Catholic School became racially integrated and Blessed Martin School closed its doors.
In 1962, the Bishop designated the high school a diocesan high school. Three years later in 1965, the present John Carroll High School on Delaware Avenue opened its doors.
Five years later in 1970, Father Michael Beerhalter directed that three portable classrooms be added to St. Anastasia Catholic School’s campus due to increased enrollment. By 1980, Father Edward Condren added three additional classrooms to meet growth demands.
For the next 16 years, St. Anastasia had many new facilities come to fruition due to the efforts of Father Mark Christopher. In 1983, he added two kindergarten rooms and the former convent became the Monsignor Beerhalter Media Center housing the school library, guidance office, art room, development office, religion resource room small devotional chapel, Title I Program and enrichment program. By 1989, Father Christopher had a state-of-the-art computer laboratory and a spacious music room constructed to form the Media Center’s east wing. A sports pavilion was erected to enhance the school’s physical education and sports program in 1991. In 1993, the completion of the Bergalis and Wolf buildings created eight new classrooms. These additions have allowed St. Anastasia to meet the enrollment demands by offering two classes each of kindergarten through eighth grades. To meet administrative needs, the Alice M. Clark Administration building was constructed in 1997.
In order to enhance the Band Program at St. Anastasia Catholic School, the multi-faceted Louise Beerhalter Band Room was constructed in 1998. Today, over one hundred students in grades five through eight are actively involved in the Band Program.
Under the leadership of Father Michael Woodcock as pastor, campus expansion continued. Four additional classrooms were constructed adjacent to the Administrative Offices providing space for classrooms to be relocated. In 2000, St. Anastasia Catholic School welcomed Pre-School students for the first time.
In 2006, a state-of-the-art Media Center was completed. The plans for this facility had been many years in the making under the leadership of Father Woodcock, Father O’Toole, Father George, the present pastor and the school administration under the leadership of Mrs. Vickie Guettler and Mr. Thomas Boedicker.
Since its inception, St. Anastasia Catholic School has grown under the administration and guidance of the Sisters of St. Dominic of Adrian, Michigan. Former principals of the school include: Sister Kathleen Marie Barry; Sister Grace Agatha Dillion; Sister Mary Catherine Jordan; Sister Evangeline Marie Loveridge; Sister Anne Elizabeth Monahan; Sister Jean Renuart, Sister Mary Ann Rissert; Sister Laura Simmons; Sister Generosa Solon; Sister Mary Eleanore Unvarsky; and Sister Clare Daniel Watson. A Sister of the Order of St. Ann served briefly until Mrs. Vickie Guettler replaced her in 1982 as the school’s firs lay principal. Mrs. Guettler continued to serve in that capacity until 2004. Mr. Thomas Boedicker assumed the leadership role of the school in 2004 through 2007. Dr. Kevin Hoeffner is the principal of St. Anastasia Catholic School today.